Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Chromecast Ultra with 4k / HDR / Dolby Vision support !!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chromecast Ultra with 4k / HDR / Dolby Vision support !!

Originally posted by lujan View Post
    Are we sure it's in the hands of Vudu and not Google?
    Sounds like its in Google's hands, but seems like VUDU might know *SOME*thing , since they posted "(Dolby Vision will be available pending an firmware update from Google)" on their forum.

Do they not communicate?

Comment

So I have a question regarding this topic. I have a Samsung KS8000 which is HDR10 with no DV. My tv vudu app does not do UHD. Will adding the chromecast allow me to view UHD movies in HDR10 or will it do nothing since my TV does not support DV?

Comment

Originally posted by OSUGrad2X View Post
        So I have a question regarding this topic. I have a Samsung KS8000 which is HDR10 with no DV. My tv vudu app does not do UHD. Will adding the chromecast allow me to view UHD movies in HDR10 or will it do nothing since my TV does not support DV?
        For Netflix, yes, you will get HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision.

I don't know how VUDU will handle it, since I have yet to try a UHD title from VUDU yet....

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
          Specifically here is the issue: some TVs (for example LG) do not seem to support Dolby Vision with 4K@60Hz 10 bit HDCP 2.2 on any HDMI ports (maybe the bandwidth of those combined features is too high?), and Chromecast does not do 4K@30Hz 10 bit because most movies are 24Hz and 24 -> 30 Hz conversion makes them very juddery. They are working on switching to direct 24Hz output to the TV when the content is 24Hz, which should fix it (assuming the TV supports 4K@24Hz 10 bit!).
          Jake, is there any update on this since 11/15?

Specifically, I am running Chromecast Ultra directly into LG B6P. CCU signals ST2084 EOTF, but the TV switches to HDR10 rather than Dolby Vision. Picture is a mess.

Comment

While on the subject of the Chromecast Ultra, audio output is all over the barn. Some titles that are DD+ 5.1 are being output as a 5.1 PCM decode (The Divergent Series: Insurgent); others are DD+ 5.1 bitstream (The Divergent Series: Allegiant). The sound quality for the 5.1 PCM decode is noticeably inferior (sounds like very low bitrate audio) compared to the bitstream. Some titles that are supposed to be DD+ 7.1 are only DD+ 5.1 bitstream (notable example is The Force Awakens). Some Dolby Atmos titles are sending DD+ 5.1 when they are supposed to be Atmos (Mad Max: Fury Road). On the other hand, some titles are correctly sending Atmos (San Andreas). It's kind of a minefield with the CCU right now. Not sure why it's getting such dramatically different results from other streamers when everything is supposed to be outputting native bitstream?
            Last edited by home_theatre_man; 01-14-2017, 12:28 AM. Reason: Add Additional Details

Comment

Originally posted by home_theatre_man View Post
              Jake, is there any update on this since 11/15?

Specifically, I am running Chromecast Ultra directly into LG B6P. CCU signals ST2084 EOTF, but the TV switches to HDR10 rather than Dolby Vision. Picture is a mess.
              Hello..... VUDU?? Too busy celebrating the 10th anniversary?

This is still a problem for many of us!! When trying to play UHD titles via the Chromecast Ultra, the TV is switching to HDR10 and the picture is unwatchable ( instead of switching to SDR 4k ).

I submitted a ticket with VUDU support but they have never gotten back to me.....

Can somebody from VUDU give us an update on the situation????

Comment

Originally posted by SinGA View Post
                Hello..... VUDU?? Too busy celebrating the 10th anniversary?

This is still a problem for many of us!! When trying to play UHD titles via the Chromecast Ultra, the TV is switching to HDR10 and the picture is unwatchable ( instead of switching to SDR 4k ).

I submitted a ticket with VUDU support but they have never gotten back to me.....

Can somebody from VUDU give us an update on the situation????
                The CC Ultra now correctly signals Dolby Vision to my LG B6P and has for some time (I forget the exact build that enabled it). The CC Ultra must be connected directly to the display, unless you are using an AVR or other switcher that supports Dolby Vision.

Comment

The CC Ultra now correctly signals Dolby Vision to my LG B6P and has for some time (I forget the exact build that enabled it). The CC Ultra must be connected directly to the display, unless you are using an AVR or other switcher that supports Dolby Vision.
                  I think SinGA is referring to non-DV displays that signal that they're receiving an HDR-10 signal but the picture is overexposed and the brighter colors seem like neon. This happened when I tried a Vudu 4k movie on my 2015 LG OLED. The LG was saying it's receiving and HDR-10 signal but the video was way off.

62 UHD
                  792 HDX
                  2 SD

Comment

Originally posted by lujan View Post
                    I think SinGA is referring to non-DV displays that signal that they're receiving an HDR-10 signal but the picture is overexposed and the brighter colors seem like neon.
                    I understand. I responded because SinGA quoted my earlier post regarding CC Ultra/DoVi on the 2016 LG - an issue that is now resolved.

Comment

I am running my CCU thru an AVR that does not yet support Dolby Vision, to my B6P which does support DV. Previously, that would cause VUDU titles to play in SDR UHD, which was fine for now.

But now..... something changed. Now, when i play UHD titles on VUDU, it triggers the TV into HDR10 mode, which causes this awful problem.

There's obviously an issue out there, because other people are reporting this issue, and its not just with my type TV. People with other displays are seeing the issue.

I've gotten no response from VUDU support thus far, other than Jake on these forums saying " its the Chromecast, talk to Google ". But that's poor customer service. Shouldnt VUDU have some avenue to address technical support issues directly with Google? Don't they talk?? Pick up the phone, send an email, create a Service Request, whatever. " Hi Google , your Chromecast is screwing up playback for out customers. Can we work it out? " That type of thing.....

Comment

I am running my CCU thru an AVR that does not yet support Dolby Vision, to my B6P which does support DV. Previously, that would cause VUDU titles to play in SDR UHD, which was fine for now.

But now..... something changed. Now, when i play UHD titles on VUDU, it triggers the TV into HDR10 mode, which causes this awful problem.
                        I have a similar setup I can test quickly. I will do so and report if I'm experiencing the new problem.

UPDATE: It's been a month or so since the CC Ultra was in my main system. You're correct; it is now incorrectly signaling the display into HDR-10 for VUDU UHD content. The casting interface from the Chrome browser also seems extremely sluggish and prone to unnecessary stoppage and buffering in UHD mode. Oops.

Comment

I've gotten no response from VUDU support thus far, other than Jake on these forums saying " its the Chromecast, talk to Google ". But that's poor customer service. Shouldnt VUDU have some avenue to address technical support issues directly with Google? Don't they talk?? Pick up the phone, send an email, create a Service Request, whatever. " Hi Google , your Chromecast is screwing up playback for out customers. Can we work it out? " That type of thing.....
                          Sometimes I'll get a response when I post on the General Help area. Why don't you try posting the problem there?

https://forum.vudu.com/forumdisplay....1-General-Help

61 UHD
                          792 HDX
                          2 SD

Comment

Can you all provide us with more information so we can investigate this issue further, much appreciated.

- ChromeCast Ultra Firmware Version (see info below on how to get this information)
                            - TV Brand, model, year of manufacture
                            - Picture settings (if any)
                            - Title of the content

How to check your firmware version

To check which firmware version you're on,

1. Make sure your phone or tablet is connected to same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast device.
                            2. From your mobile device, open the Google Home app Chromecast cast icon.
                            3. Tap DEVICES to see your available Chromecast devices.
                            4. Scroll to find the device card for the Chromecast you'd like to find the firmware version for.
                            5. In the top right corner of the device card, tap the device card menu .
                            6. Tap Settings.
                            7. Scroll to the bottom and look for Cast firmware version: X.XXX.XXXXX.
                            Last edited by FelipeF; 07-28-2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FelipeF View Post
                              Can you all provide us with more information so we can investigate this issue further, much appreciated.

- Vudu device ID (settings > system info)
                              - Title of the content
                              LG EF9500 2015
                              0x3AE2398
                              ???
                              I tried "The Accountant" UHD and using the Chromecast Ultra activated the HDR message on the LG but the picture was way overexposed on the light colors so that they looked neon. This LG TV does not have DV capability so can only be used with HDR-10.

62 UHD
                              792 HDX
                              2 SD

Comment

Originally posted by FelipeF View Post

- Vudu device ID (settings > system info)
                                - Title of the content
                                2016 LG OLED65B6P ( Chromecast Ultra -> Yamaha AVR -> TV )
                                Version: 5.3.160.48369_24_1 ( there is no system info or device ID in the Android app, not that i can find anyhow )
                                ??
                                The Great Wall, Fantastic Beasts, Lucy, Kong Skull Island

Comment

Working...
                                X