Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Vudu makes Yahoo Headlines on HD Purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vudu makes Yahoo Headlines on HD Purchases

Originally posted by illuscon View Post
    It does not make sense to archive on the "cloud" unless VUDU begins to demonstrate that they can weather this economic storm. As I said, I'm not convinced VUDU will. In fact, they have done nothing to prove that they can survive in their current form. Layoffs. Dramatic price drops... VUDU refuses to release sales numbers so I am not inclined to purchase movies from them and only to find out one day it's all gone.

That's the 800 pound gorilla in the room and users should really demand more information about the state of VUDU's health before users invest anymore hard earned dollars.
    I understand what you are saying but it's the optimal solution for me. I prefer to rent almost 100% of the time. For the few times that I purchase (if I'm out of room on the box), putting it in the cloud is fine. If they go under (which I clearly hope they don't), of course I will lose them, but I don't plan to have that many movies out there and I don't have to buy any additional hardware.

Of course if you are trying to build a movie collection that way, I would agree completely. However, I think that it makes little sense to do that in the world of VOD. You would have to keep adding hardware and deal with the costs associated with doing that (as I said, I spent a lot already on my own VOD solution). I'm content to just pay the rental fee each and every time I watch a movie. Had I been able to do that with a VOD system from the beginning, I would have saved a ton of money and not wasted so much time. So for me, I would have paid much less and got more.

Comment

Dramatic price drops... VUDU refuses to release sales numbers so I am not inclined to purchase movies from them and only to find out one day it's all gone.
      First of all, price drops are part of a normal product evolution and life cycle. I paid something like $350 for my first DVD player. They can be had now for $75.

IMHO, the current price of $150 for the Vudu is around where I think it should have been priced all along. It's at a price where people will buy it.

Also, if you purchase a movie and leave it on your box, then you will be able to keep it forever if Vudu goes under (or as long as your hard drive stays working). I'm sure that if you had it archived to the cloud, you'd have the chance to get them back before they pull the plug.

As for their chances of success - we'll see. The current economic environment doesn't help one bit. But I think the price point is right and I also think that in tough times people tend to buy products that allow them to get their entertainment at home.

Also, most private companies never release sales figures to the public. Public companies only do that because they are required to by law.

Comment

Given that Vudu is now moving to allow users to "buy" high resolution content; having the ability to store that purchased content locally becomes critical. Vudu is adding/enhancing a "purchase model" to target those folks for whom owning the content is important. (I know this is not everyone) Having high resolution content that one owns in the cloud is not convenient as the wait time (based on your bandwidth) might be excessive (a few hours for HDX). If you have guests visiting for a few hours, with whom you want to share an HDX movie the download time becomes a big inconvenience. Specially if the guest arrives either unannounced or with very short notice. To view high resolution content that one "owns" the viewing experience should allow spontaneous and instant availability. Now-a-days, one can get a 1TB USB 2.0 drive for under $100, so the cost of storage should not be the show-stopper. Vudu has to enable external "local" storage either via the USB port or using some plugin for Vudu labs to access content downloaded from Vudu stored in a "local" server via the LAN. To avoid any copyright issues content should only play in the Vudu box or boxes that the content buyer has registered with Vudu.

Btw, I'm "assuming" that in order to play copyrighted content in the Vudu box the authorization is tied to the smart card in the box. If this is the case, then allowing users to take this smart card and their external drive/content with them to a friend/family house with a Vudu box and play the "purchased" content should be possible. Taking this model further, any computer with a compatible smart reader and player should also be allow to play the "purchased" content. A "flexible" model where one can play the videos one owns wherever and whenever one wants might compel more users to "purchase" more videos via Vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by tamanaco View Post
          Btw, I'm "assuming" that in order to play copyrighted content in the Vudu box the authorization is tied to the smart card in the box. If this is the case, then allowing users to take this smart card and their external drive/content with them to a friend/family house with a Vudu box and play the "purchased" content should be possible. Taking this model further, any computer with a compatible smart reader and player should also be allow to play the "purchased" content. A "flexible" model where one can play the videos one owns wherever and whenever one wants might compel more users to "purchase" more videos via Vudu.
          Content is tied to the VUDU box. I have in the past downloaded a bunch of movies to take on vacation and played them just fine without being connected to the internet. To the extent of how the smart card is involved is proprietary to VUDU.

One would assume under the current VUDU model that purchased content that is stored externally would only be playable on the VUDU that made the purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
            Content is tied to the VUDU box. I have in the past downloaded a bunch of movies to take on vacation and played them just fine without being connected to the internet. To the extent of how the smart card is involved is proprietary to VUDU.

One would assume under the current VUDU model that purchased content that is stored externally would only be playable on the VUDU that made the purchase.

So you're absolutely certain that "all" the downloaded content security is tied to the hardware (Vudu box) and in no way tied to the smart card?. That's a bit disappointing. But then why have a smart card reader in the box? Is it just for rental identification purposes? I'm not concerned about playing connected or disconnected. I just want the ability to play the content that I "own" either in another Vudu box (for portability convenience using just the card) or in another device with said card. For example... if decide to store my content in the Vudu cloud then I want to go to my sister's house with "my card" and play the movie I stored in my account (cloud) in "her" Vudu box. Having the encryption and "authentication" completely performed by the box is a bad model for a "software" company. The smart card should provide the "non-repudiation" component to allow users to use "their" content wherever they want. Oh well, some one will come along and solve this issue about playing content that the user owns in the device and place of the user's choice without breaking any copyright laws. The problem that I have is that "all" the technology to accomplish this "might be" already available in the Vudu box.

Heck, now that I know that Vudu is a software company and not a hardware company in the future they should develop software players to allow the content bought via Vudu to play in any device. Using say a mobile player for smartphones which can allow one to play "mobile" friendly content bought via Vudu. Of course, you would also need to get a "certificate" tied to your Vudu account that would allow the player to authenticate the user. But I guess I'm just Vudu dreaming... as in Zombie.

Comment

tamanaco,

You missed my comment where I said:
              To the extent of how the smart card is involved is proprietary to VUDU.

So it could be a combination of the hardware and the card like DirectTV does with their content or other combination.

I understand your desire to have portable content, I too would like to bring my media with me like I do with my music, but at this time that option is not avaiable with VUDU.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                tamanaco,

You missed my comment where I said:
                To the extent of how the smart card is involved is proprietary to VUDU.

So it could be a combination of the hardware and the card like DirectTV does with their content or other combination.

I understand your desire to have portable content, I too would like to bring my media with me like I do with my music, but at this time that option is not avaiable with VUDU.
                I see... I guess the "possibility" still exist. Non-repudiation, which is one of the stumbling blocks for playing copyrighted material anywhere is easily facilitated with a "physical" smartcard. Let's hope the software architects at Vudu took this into account before they engineered the Vudu box.

Edit: "To the extent of how the smart card is involved is proprietary to VUDU." should have been the first sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by tamanaco View Post
                  The smart card should provide the "non-repudiation" component to allow users to use "their" content wherever they want.

- snip -

Heck, now that I know that Vudu is a software company and not a hardware company in the future they should develop software players to allow the content bought via Vudu to play in any device.
                  1.) I don't know why you think Vudu is now just a software company. That's not what I would characterize as accurate. Just because they want to license the software to other companies' hardware does not mean that they will stop making hardware.

2.) NO smart card in the world allows you to take that smart card and put it in someone else's box and view content. The D* or E* boxes do not do it, Vudu does not do it, no one's. Maybe that was the original idea, but everyone ended up tying the smart card to the box. The smart card is integral to the encryption key. But since it is tied to the box, it has to be used with that box.

Comment

For-purchase HDX movies makes it all but certain that external storage support is on the horizon (cloud archiving notwithstanding). We've had people on this forum who filled up the box with SD movies, so HDX will make it even more common.

Being able to access your content from any VUDU box based on your card is a great idea, but wouldn't appear to be something that studios would sign off on. Some sort of multibox functionality when I could play content from Box1 on Box2 located on same sub-net or something like that is more likely but, again, it's not really up to VUDU but rather content owners who are afraid of/don't grasp the new technology.

Comment

This thread got de-railed 4 posts in....shame. Vudu making global headlines is always good news.

On the off-topic rants about vudu vs BD, I'll say that I use my Vudu to rent almost everything and then I'll go out and buy it on a disc if I want to own it. There are about 10 movies I'll buy on Vudu but for me it's the best way to rent movies in the world. I didn't buy Vudu with the expectation that I would own 400 movies on one box.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Frenzy View Post
                        This thread got de-railed 4 posts in....shame. Vudu making global headlines is always good news.

On the off-topic rants about vudu vs BD, I'll say that I use my Vudu to rent almost everything and then I'll go out and buy it on a disc if I want to own it. There are about 10 movies I'll buy on Vudu but for me it's the best way to rent movies in the world. I didn't buy Vudu with the expectation that I would own 400 movies on one box.
                        I completely agree and couldn't have said it any better.

Comment

Sorry, I think it's funny that somebody lugs their clunky VUDU box around the country to watch a movie.

Comment

Sorry, I think it's funny that somebody lugs their clunky VUDU box around the country to watch a movie.
                            This is clunky:

The Vudu is not!

Comment

VUDU sells a nice case on their web site:

https://my.vudu.com/buynow/

Take a look at their travel kit. Also I have a large family so what is another case in the back of the minivan? A laptop case takes up more space...

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                                1.) I don't know why you think Vudu is now just a software company. That's not what I would characterize as accurate. Just because they want to license the software to other companies' hardware does not mean that they will stop making hardware.
                                Well, that's not what Mr. Tony Miranz said in one of his last public announcements. "We're a software company first and foremost," See the "Vudu Accelerates OEM Plans" here http://www.cepro.com/article/after_c..._software/K316

Btw, until I heard Mr. Miranz... I thought Vudu was a media (video) services aggregator that sold their own hardware.

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                                2.) NO smart card in the world allows you to take that smart card and put it in someone else's box and view content. The D* or E* boxes do not do it, Vudu does not do it, no one's. Maybe that was the original idea, but everyone ended up tying the smart card to the box. The smart card is integral to the encryption key. But since it is tied to the box, it has to be used with that box.
                                The concept of Non-repudiation, that I'm talking about, using a physical device (smartcard or any device with the hash) is similar to the ATM machine concept. No one carries an ATM machine with them. Btw, I recall having a cable box from CableVision with a SmartCard and the box failed. The box was replaced, but I kept the same smartcard. All the Smartcard is doing is to act as something similar to a "unique and physical" user id to assure non-repudiation. Just like an ATM card won't give you any money with just your password because banks enforce non-repudiation with an ATM card. The only things that might be in the card in terms of encryption is the hash and "possibly" the "00XXAA" box id number associated with one's account. If you have intelligent hardware with a powerful CPU you do not do "any" encryption/decryption in the card as smartcards have very slow CPUs (if any).

Btw, we all know that Vudu introduced this online purchasing service to increase revenues. It is targeted to those clients that like the purchasing model. With physical media like DVDs the content is tied to "mobile" media which give users the flexibility to play their content anywhere they find a DVD player. Vudu needs to compete with that concept in order for their model to be successful. I'm not saying that they have to do it... but if they don't someone else will and will kill their existing model in a flash. Content providers want non-repudiation. You own the DVD you play it anywhere. if you have something like a smartcard tied to the content you purchase, then you can play that content in any player that the smartcard is inserted. No card... no play... non-repudiation fulfilled... content owners and copyright lawyers are happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X