Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

News from CES

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: News from CES

I'm sceptical of the VHS thing. Does this mean I can bring in my Laserdiscs and a computer full of itunes movies and get those converted with D2D as well? I'm going to need a little more than a backhand reference in a magazine article to be convinced, not that it matters for you and your VHS.

Only Walmart knows what their licensing is with the studios, but it wouldn't be the first time that journalists failed to get their facts straight.

Comment

I am a WM employee, working home entertainment area at my store. If VHS is allowed, this is news to me. There is absolutely no marketing material mentioning anything beside DVD and Blu-ray as being applicable. Store training and procedures specifically mentions only DVD and Blu-ray. If the associate does a manual order, the only options in search results are DVD and Blu-ray versions of the searched title. No VHS can be found in this system. Just like when you prepare your order in advance, there is no VHS in search results. The instructions on this web site also specifically only say DVD and Blu-ray. Sorry, but how can anyone assume or expect any other format to be included with this service?

Of course I guess I could be wrong, but I'm positive this is just a mistake by people that don't really understand the service.

Comment

In this article, the same WalMart spokeswoman says nothing about VHS. Only Blu Ray and DVD. She may have been mistaken in saying that in the other article. Surely Walmart would include all acceptable formats in their signage/literature/website.
        http://www.hometheater.com/content/w...available-vudu

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
          In this article, the same WalMart spokeswoman says nothing about VHS. Only Blu Ray and DVD. She may have been mistaken in saying that in the other article. Surely Walmart would include all acceptable formats in their signage/literature/website.
          http://www.hometheater.com/content/w...available-vudu
          However, the USA Today article never directly quoted her as specifically saying that. Basically, it was the reporter stating that she said something to that effect but it could have been a simple misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by lostinva View Post
            I am a WM employee, working home entertainment area at my store. If VHS is allowed, this is news to me.
            I am not surprised, most WM employees around here don't even have a clue what Vudu or Disc-to-Digital is and very few seem to know how to do it!

Sorry, I am not attacking you personally, it's just that I have had a lot of very bad experience with Walmart's disc-to-digital in the past. It took me 7 months to train the photo lab that I use here. I remember having to drive to 4 different local stores the first time I did it. I finally find someone who at least knew where "the notebook" was kept with the password and instructions.

But you are right, they don't advertise this very well. UltraViolet's home page uses the term "movie" and the only time they specifically mention Blu-ray and DVD is when they talk about looking for the UV logo when buying "new" movies. Obviously you are not going to find new VHS tapes with the UV sticker since they don't make VHS anymore.

Walmart's in store disc-to-digital service was added as a way to purchase additional movie watching rights, a digital license, for those old movies we already own. Most people these days don't think about anything other than DVD and Blu-ray. And many of us were guilty of putting too much emphasis on the name and not enough attention to what the $2 fee was really for.

Do you know Sarah Spencer? She's a director in your Corporate Communcations department in Arkansas. She has confirmed that we can salvage those movies our old media (VHS and Laserdiscs) and obtain digital rights for them so we can once again enjoy movies the movie industry sold on failed or out-dated media.

The downside is that disc-to-digital came way too late...many of us have already replaced our old VHS, Laserdisc, or Betamax tapes with DVDs or Blu-ray discs.

Comment

Let's give the debate about VHS a rest. RIP!

Originally posted by madmod20061 View Post
              Boy did this go off topic I came here and though "Oh Boy, 3 pages of news from CES". Guess not.
              Me also! For anyone with desires of converting VHS, Beta, 8MM, Hi-8, Laserdisc, etc. to UV please stop posting and/or whining about it until they approve it. But don't hold your breath.

Comment

Originally posted by E55KEV View Post
                I Agree! For anyone with desires of converting VHS, Beta, 8MM, Hi-8, Laserdisc, etc. to UV please stop posting and/or whining about it until they approve it. But don't hold your breath.
                We're not off topic and this has been approved. It's always been a part of D2D, we just didn't know for sure until Walmart cleared it up for us. So, no need to hold your breath...like I said before, I have already taken two VHS tapes to Walmart and I am able to watch them in the cloud.

Comment

$10 for VHS!

Originally posted by tfisher View Post
                  We're not off topic and this has been approved. It's always been a part of D2D, we just didn't know for sure until Walmart cleared it up for us. So, no need to hold your breath...like I said before, I have already taken two VHS tapes to Walmart and I am able to watch them in the cloud.
                  I guess you the official BETA tester for this?

If VHS is started I speculate the price to convert to HD might be more than $5.

Comment

UV Locker Forfeit?

I hope this does not happen but (suppose) you could be legally determined that you violated/abused UV rules by knowingly redeeming titles you do not own or DVD or Blu-ray and have your UV locker seized. They have that right. You already admitted to doing so.

Comment

I guess you the official BETA tester for this?

If VHS is started I speculate the price to convert to HD might be more than $5.
                      If you mean I am the first person to purchase digital rights to a movie on something other than DVD or Blu-ray then no, probably not. I am just the first person to mention this on the forum.

The fee to go from SD to HD is $4 (I mean $5), but you already knew that.

What I don't understand is why anyone would be concerned that there are people who still have movies they purchased from the movie industry who are wanting to use UltraViolet as a means to watch their movies again. How is it that you seem to think that you have been impacted by people converting their old VHS tapes to digital? I paid the fee offered to me and I followed the rules they presented. If you don't approve of people converting their VHS tapes for some reason then I guess you can contact Walmart's corporate office and complain.

All I am trying to do here is get the word out to those who have movies on other types of media that they can use this service to watch those movies instead of buying the movies all over again.

Comment

If you mean I am the first person to purchase digital rights to a movie on something other than DVD or Blu-ray then no, probably not. I am just the first person to mention this on the forum.

The fee to go from SD to HD is $4, but you already knew that.
                        When did the price drop from $5 to $4 for SD to HD?

Comment

When did the price drop from $5 to $4 for SD to HD?
                          Excuse me, you are correct on that point. I was thinking it was $4 but it is $5. I have never done any upgrades to HD before.

Comment

I paid the fee offered to me and I followed the rules they presented.
                            That's not entirely true. You did not follow the rules as there are no rules to convert a VHS tape. You spent extra time and effort convincing the Walmart employees they should do this. If part of the rules you would not have to convince them. When you go back again and there are different employees you will have convince them also. Go to a different Walmart and you will have to convince them also. Convincing employees to convert VHS is not part of any UV/Walmart/VUDU rules.

Comment

I also see that there will be a spelling test later so I better learn how to spell Blu-ray (it's spelled with a capital letter) or I may fail, or at least prevent some people from understanding what the heck I mean when I say "Blue Ray".
                              It's never too late to learn how to spell unless you believe in the old adage that "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"?

Comment

That's not entirely true. You did not follow the rules as there are no rules to convert a VHS tape. You spent extra time and effort convincing the Walmart employees they should do this. If part of the rules you would not have to convince them.
                                It wasn't that difficult for them to understand what I was paying for. I actually spent more time "teaching" them how to do D2D several months back. I wasn't surpised I would have to explain all this to them since communications and training for D2D has really sucked.

So following your logic I have broken the rules by even converting DVDs and Blu-rays since I had to basically educate them on that whole process as well?

The rules are the same of all media. Look for the "title" on the list of movies that are authorized for D2D. Select SD or HD format. Take the movie with you to Walmart and they will verify that you own the movie and authorize your purchase of digitial rights to that movie.

If you don't like it then stop your whining and take it up with Walmart. I have only done what they are allowing us to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X