Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU AT HOME: DISC-TO-DIGITAL Bugs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VUDU AT HOME: DISC-TO-DIGITAL -- INSSUFFICiENT DISCLOSURE DURING PURCHASE PROCESS

Originally posted by mpack View Post
    I just did a little more research on what I'm seeing regarding the sound problem, when I look at the "More Info" in the my VUDU system page for each of these purchases with sound problems, it says the HDX sound is "Dolby Digital Stereo" for all of the movies except for Harry Potter: The Sorcerer's Stone & Chocolat. For Harry Potter: The Sorcerer's Stone movie it doesn't give any indication of the sound quality. For Chocolate is says Dolby Digital 5.1, but no sound is coming from the surround channels when the movie is played.

The source DVDs have Dolby Digital 5.1 surround for the following movies: Batman Begins, Doctor Zhivago, Lord of The Rings The Fellowship of the Ring, Harry Potter an the Sorcerer's Stone, and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Because the old DVDs have Dolby Digital 5.1, the HDX files should also have at least that sound quality if they aren't upgraded to 7.1.

The source DVDs for Chocolat, A Christmas Story, The Little Shop of Horrors, and Sixteen Candles only indicate "Dolby Digital", so maybe a surround sound version of those movies isn't available. However, I suspect that a bluray of those movies would have upgraded sound to Dolby Digital 5.1 or better; if this is the case the HDX files should also be in Dolby Digital 5.1.

I hope this extra information helps VUDU support figure out the problem with the files.
    There are really two problems here. The first, is that during the Disc-to-Digital Home purchase process, all of the details on the quality of the digital content being purchased is not available to the buyer. Normally (not Disc-to-Digital home) on Vudu when making a purchase, the buyer can click on the "More Info" tab and be able to tell the sound quality of the digital rights being purchased. However, using the "VUDU To Go" Disc-To-Digital Home program that is downloaded to the PC to make the Disc-To-Digital-Home purchases, the "More Info" tab and purchase information included in the tabe is not available. So, when I purchased thes HDX digital rights there was no way for me to tell during the purchase process that I would be getting sound quality that is inferior to that provided on the old DVDs. The only quality information provided during the purchase process is "SD", "HD", or "HDX". Without additional clearly displayed disclosures, the typical Vudu user is likely to assume that "HD" and "HDX" quality digital rights purchases will have sound quality that is at least as good as that found on a non-HD DVD. In my opinion, that is a very reasonable assumption for the consumer to make. The buyers should have to seperately go to the VUDU website or video streaming app to determine what quality of sound they will be buying. This information should be clearly shown in the "VUDU To Go" program during the purchase process.

The second problem is the way that VUDU advertises streaming content quality. Based on the history of video media including VHS tapes, DVDs, BDs, and paid downloadable movies certain expectations for both video and sound quality have been established. In general, purchased digital content is considered to be at least DVD quality and purchased DVDs would have 5.1 multi-channel sounds when available, which means for all but the oldest movies that came out before 5.1 was available or for "indie" productions which might not have the resources to produce 5.1 channel sounds. VUDU customers are led to believe that HD and HDX content is higher quality than normal DVDs; this seems to be true for video, but not sound. This HD/HDX vs DVD comparison might not be a comparison that VUDU directly makes, but I think they are happy for you to assume that is true and benefit from that perception of higher quality. VUDU needs to live up to the higher quality perception for both video and sound and make it clear when it is not true. The on the front screen page when a purchase is made (not the secondary "More Info" tabe) they need to indicate sound quality, particularly when digital rights don't at least a 5.1 (DVD) quality. During the purchase process, they need to use the descriptions of quality that include sounds quality. For example, during the purchase process describe quality as "HDX stereo", "HDX DD 5.1", "HDX DD 7.1" rather than just saying "HDX"

OK, I'm off my soap-box for now. In most ways, I really love the VUDU service. I'm just upset that I was decieved into making purchases that I wouldn't have otherwise. I'm doubleY upset because no one has responded to my problem request that I submitted almost two weeks ago via a phone serivce agent and I haven't been refunded my money as requested.

Comment

Re: VUDU AT HOME: DISC-TO-DIGITAL Bugs?

DD+ audio tracks should be mandatory with HDX video IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackZ View Post
        Agreed. Dolby Digital multichannel surround should always be included unless it just doesn't exist anywhere (a few old or obscure movies) and in those cases it should be clearly disclosed in the movie description that it lacks surround sound. It would improve VUDU's credibility and the HDX & VUDU's brands in the long-run if they reserved the "HDX" label for only 1080p content with surround sound. By withholding the HDX label, they might reduce the number of movies called HDX in the short-run, but it would give studios incentive to provide more feature full video digital files if the studios want the extra revenue that can come with the HDX label. Plus, their customer's will be happier in the long-run and make more repeat purchases if they don't have the periodic disappointment that comes with paying for sub-standard content.

Comment

You have older movies that benefit from HDX picture that don't have dolby digital or perhaps even surround. Some of the "popular" movies from the 80's didn't even have stereo in some cases in theaters.

Comment

Agreed. Or at least advertise such ...

My HDX copy of Frontier(s) played back in Pro Logic despite it being HDX and I bought it under the impression that it would be at least in Dolby Digital 5. I was disappointed to say the least.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes (BD - Downey Jr.) STILL is NOT recognized.

Comment

I have run into two titles that have the same problem.

I put in the Blu-rays of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and Field of Dreams to convert. They read correctly and say that they are blu-rays and can be converted in HDX for $2 but when I add them to the cart, they show up as $2 conversions in SD. Help please. Thanks.

Comment

Hey LocN,
                  Still having trouble with the Friday the 13th: From Crystal Lake to Manhattan Ultimate Collection dvd set, UPC Code: 097360523348, where it is two movies per disc. I am trying to do the part 7 and 8 disc to get part 7 but it keeps coming up and saying that it is part 8 and I already own that movie in HDX on Vudu.

Comment

Tried multiple times to convert K19 The Widowmaker, keep getting "This disc is not eligible for Disc to Digital"

Comment

Disappointed that it takes so long for Vudu to manually verify discs. It seems common place for new releases to be on the D2D @ Home list prior to their release but when the release date comes and passes the discs take forever to be recognized with the software.

The following still receive the "Unable to verify this disc." error message.

Scooby-Doo! and the Legend of the Vampire (Blu-ray)
                      Scooby-Doo! and the Loch Ness Monster (Blu-ray)
                      Scooby-Doo! and the Monster of Mexico (Blu-ray)
                      Scooby-Doo! and the Samurai Sword (Blu-ray)
                      Tom and Jerry: Shiver Me Whiskers (Blu-ray)

Comment

Originally posted by myers62084 View Post
                        Hey LocN,
                        Still having trouble with the Friday the 13th: From Crystal Lake to Manhattan Ultimate Collection dvd.
                        Scabi. I Purchased this selection a while ago. HAHA..

Comment

Let vudu do their thing or die..

Comment

Mission Impossible 2 blu is being recognized as Mission Impossible 3

Comment

Any idea what the turn around time is for them to manually verify discs?
                              Paul Unrated version was being recognized as theatrical... manually verify disc thing. But if its going to take too long I might go into walmart...

Comment

Moon BD 2009 ... Says the flick is not eligible, when in fact, it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X